These boots are made for walkin'




This dress was my latest me made project. I'd been saving this crimplene for the perfect project, I hate to feel like I'm wasting vintage fabric because it's so finite (wasting and destroying vintage in general is my biggest pet peeve, I don't understand how people don't realise that this stuff is limited quantities so treat it respectfully. Anyway, tangent!) I kind of like this dress, and I kind of feel a bit disappointed with it at the same time which is a bummer. But I often feel like that after sewing projects, then after they've been in my closet for a while I'm able to appreciate them more.

I did a little pattern frankensteining on this dress, just on the sleeves. The dress pattern had elasticated balloon sleeves, but I liked the shape of these with the additional frill on the end and smocked cuff which were on another pattern. I'd never done smocking before, and honestly don't think I'd ever do it again, it was such a PITA and didn't even really come out like it was supposed to. The collar ended up a bit different too, as the white crimplene was so much heavier than the purple crimplene. It was supposed to be more of a dagger shirt collar, but the weight made the collar just lie flat so I embraced it and altered the neckline. I think it's the sleeves that are the biggest annoyance to me, especially as the frill at the end keeps flipping inside out. But it's easily fixed, I'd just need to unpick all of my smocking and add elastic to make it a balloon sleeve.



I bought these boots when I last went to Bristol. After going to Judy's I took a little wander further into the city than I usually go in search of an art shop, and there ended up being a vintage shop right opposite that I couldn't help but wander in to. I've never sought out the vintage shops in Bristol before, and entering this store confirmed my suspicions. It's all the same kind of tat sold in places like Brick Lane, and I mean actual tat with minimal real vintage. Secondhand converse, cast off jeans, more plaid shirts than anyone could ever look through. They'd even marked brands you can find in the likes of New Look as "vintage".

However tucked away on the sale rail, I did see these boots and I was smitten immediately. I've been looking at white mod boots online a lot lately, and finding these felt like serendipity. I haven't been able to identify their age, the label is "Richard Draper" which has apparently been around since 1937 and is still going strong. The Cuban shaped heel and contrast piping makes me think they're probably 1980s? But honestly I couldn't care less if they're not '60s, they look the part and that's all that matters! All of my other vintage boots are suede which isn't the best choice for rainy England, and so I've been after a pair of leather boots for the longest time. These also have sheepskin lining, so I'm not only cosy but feel like I'm walking on clouds.






ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

Adbox

@templatesyard